Merry Funky Sock Monkeys!

>> Wednesday, January 09, 2008


Now I know this has nothing to do with food, neither cooking it or eating it, but I swear I do do other things than cooking and eating, and sewing is one of them. And i just loved them so much that I just had to share them!

Every year at Christmas time I love to make the boys a handmade Christmas gift. Its something I plan to do every year. This year it was down to the last hours but I was able to pull it off. Last year I made them blankets that they pretty much use everyday and this year I decided to make them sock monkeys (to go with their sock monkey jammies)! I never knew sock monkeys could be so much fun to make. It was like watching their personalities develop with every limb I sewed on and every button I stitched. I found this tutorial on line to give me step by step instructions and it worked really well, even for someone who does not sew very often.



The eyes on Abes monkey were green (his favorite color) but he made me change them to blue so they were "just like Calebs."

Each pair of socks makes one monkey. I used a pair of men's socks and a pair of women's knee high socks since I was making two monkeys. And just to make them a little funky ( did I just say funky monkey?) I used one sock from each pair on each monkey. It gave them a neat look, not so uniform. I really liked the way they came out. I also stitched each boys initial on the monkeys chest and stitched a little heart on the butt. Kind of a way of telling them it was made with love by their mama.

It amazes me how somone came up with this clever idea of making a toy monkey out of a pair of socks. Its nice to get back to the simplicity of things every now and then. And nice to know they were not made in China too (no lead paint)!

7 comments:

Katia Mangham January 9, 2008 at 11:03 PM  

well, I can't decide who's cuter- the monkeys or the boys. Both of them precious. You are obviously not only a great cook, but a good mom as well.

Nylsoj January 10, 2008 at 8:45 PM  

My Gawd, Sarah, they are so cute. I love sock monkeys and I've been wanting to make some in this sort of general, not-really-formed way in the back of my head for a couple of years now. Thanks for including the link. I'm totally making some of these for next Christmas! (If I can wait until then!)

Jos

Katia Mangham January 11, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

Sarah, I am getting your messages, but I don't think you are getting mine. I wrote back 3 times...check your spam folder. I will email you from another address too.

mad knitter January 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

Hiya! Great sock monkeys! So clever to use one of each pair in the socks! I agree that that made them even better :). And the boys look like they really love them! Nice job!

Anonymous January 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM  

Sarah,
My sister Tisha gave me your blog address thinking I would enjoy it. Well not only did I enjoy it, it has consumed the last 2 hours of my Sunday. Absolutely the best two hours of my day. I love your monkeys the tutorial is great btw. Your recipes are also great. As you may know from speaking with Tisha i'm definately not a cook by any means but I do love COOKIES. I will be visiting often.
Keep up the great work,
Kiki

Sarah January 16, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

Thank you all for the nice comments. I love to know who is reading my blog.
karen, Im glad you found my blog and so happy you are enjoying it!

Anonymous January 18, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

Hey Sarah,
Awesome sock monkeys .When do you have the time? the boys looked so cute in their monkey pj to. Great job.
Love, Soap

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP