The Comforts Of Home

>> Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"Mama do we have doughnuts?"
"No honey we don't have doughnuts."
"Awww, but Maamaaa I want doughnuts."
"I'm sorry honey, I don't have any doughnuts."
"But Mama, can you make me doughnuts?"

Growing up there are a few food things I can remember that brought instant comfort to my days. One of them was soft boiled eggs cut up with cubed buttered toast all tossed together. Eaten with a spoon on the couch was usually how it was served. This was lovingly made by my mother whenever I was not feeling well. To this day it is one of my fondest food memories. So simple, yet I think the key here is that it was made with love by my mother.

So when my youngest asked me to make doughnuts how could I say no? How could I say no to such a comforting thing as Mama making doughnuts? This is what I do, what I love to do. I make food for people, for those I love. To comfort them, to heal them, to love them, I cook for them. Who knows, maybe it will be one of his fondest food memories. And maybe every time he eats a homemade doughnut he will instantly feel like he is getting a hug from his Mama!


Here is a pretty simple doughnut recipe. It comes together pretty quickly and does not make a large amount. Fresh doughnuts do not stay fresh for very long.

Mamas Doughnuts Made With Love

1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted flour (sift flour before you measure)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil for frying
confectioners sugar
cinnamon

Stir together vinegar and milk and set aside.
Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla.
Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture alternating with milk.
Drop dough on heavily floured surface. The dough will be very sticky at this point. Put more flour on top of dough. Pat dough to 1/3 inch thick. If you want to make doughnut wholes use a small glass (shot glass size) to cut out circles. If you want to make larger doughnuts use regular size glass to cut out circles and smaller glass to cut out holes in the center. Let rest for a few minutes.

In a medium size sauce pan fill pan with vegetable oil until about half full. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Drop doughnuts in a few at a time , depending on size. You don't want to crowd the pan. Fry a minute or two per side until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels and roll in a mixture of confectioners sugar and cinnamon (1 cup sugar to 1 teaspoon cinnamon). Repeat with remaining dough. Feed to the ones you love and enjoy!

Makes a couple dozen doughnut holes.


4 comments:

docnita January 16, 2008 at 9:17 AM  

Sarah,

I love what you said about cooking for those that you love is what you do. Having recently been on the receiving end of some of that healing loving cooking, I can so appreciate what you mean. You took my child in and showed her a great time while her other Mama had to be in the hospital from complications related to chemo and you guys delivered her home, picked up her Mama and brought lovingly made homemade food. I felt like I walked into a great big hug when I got home and had dinner ready for me and my family safely home and fed.
From the bottom of my heart...thank you for being a wonderful person and friend.

Love,
Anita

Sarah January 16, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

Thank you Anita for saying that. It is our pleasure to help in anyway we can. It is nice to know how much it is appreciated!

mad knitter January 19, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

Oooooh, yummy! Doughnuts! I will be sure to try them sometime. And I know your kids will have exactly those warm memories of you.

And as someone *else* who has been lucky enough to be on the receiving side of your food love, I'd like to chime in and say thanks, and that it has meant a great deal in those particularly difficult moments.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP