You Want What Kind of Cake???

>> Monday, September 03, 2007

You know what they say...Food is love, or at least it is in our house. Well it is! I know that's not a "healthy" way of looking at food, but in our house on our Birthdays we celebrate with our favorite foods.
Cyns Birthday is so predictable. Every year we have the same foods. She likes what she likes. Now mine on the other hand, ya never know. I'm the type to want to try something new and exciting.
This year for Cyns we had her favorite breakfast, Eggs Benedict. I have to say it is pretty good.
Poached eggs, Canadian bacon, hollandaise sauce on English muffins.

I got to try out my new silicone egg cups. They're really neat and work great. You just spray the cups with cooking spray, float them in water and simmer , covered for 4-5 minutes and voila perfect poached eggs!

For lunch we went kinda crazy and just had clam dip and chips! This is something we have been eating in my family for as long as I can remember. In fact My mother tends to make it for all the family get togethers. It's not much of a lunch I know but it is one of her favorites, seems like it's a lot of peoples favorites! Every time I bring it somewhere people are always asking me for the recipe. So here it is in all its simplicity. I forgot to take a picture of the finished dip (I'm still kinda new at this whole taking pics. of my food/blogging thing) but I think you get the idea.

Easy Peasy Clam Dip

1 8oz. package Cream Cheese
1 can minced clams

Drain the juice from the clams into a separate bowl and set aside.
Mix cream cheese with minced clams.

Add as much reserved clam juice to get desired consistency for dip
enjoy with your favorite potato chips (we prefer Ruffles).

OK, so I also forgot to take pictures of the amazing food we had for dinner from Pasta Vita.
But anyone who lives around here knows how great their food is. I highly recommend it to anybody for a celebration dinner that you don't have time to prepare yourself.

But the whole reason for the day (as far as Cyns concerned) is the cake! Cyndee has always wanted the same birthday cake, chocolate bunt cake. Now this isn't some wonderful old fashioned make it from scratch recipe. NO No NO. Couldn't be. Just because her partner loves to make beautiful homemade birthday cakes for those she loves, her favorite cake has to be from a box! And she doesn't like any kind of frosting on it. So there is absolutely no means to being creative here. She doesn't even like to have ice cream with it. I complain every year, "Don't you wanna try something new?", "How about something homemade?". But the answer is always the same "No, I want My birthday cake." So here it is in all its glory. And I must say it is pretty good for a box cake. Though frosting would be nice!

Cyns Favorite Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake

1 package choc. fudge cake mix (the chocolatiest you can find)
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chocolate chips

mix first four ingredients together until well blended. Fold in sour cream and chocolate chips.
Pour into prepared*bundt pan. Bake @ 350 for 50-60 minutes.

* whenever I make a chocolate cake I spray the pan with cooking spray and then dust it with cocoa powder instead of flour. This way it just blends into the cake!

And that's Cyns birthday full of food in a clam shell, I mean a nut shell. Maybe next year I can talk her into a chocolate gnache filling for her cake and a nice caramel drizzle on top!

4 comments:

mad knitter September 7, 2007 at 9:30 AM  

Aw, Happy Belated Birthday, Cyndee!!! The cake looks just lovely, very yummy :). I love the flower garnish in the middle! Do you call it a garnish? There must be some foodie-type word for that that you know that I don't, LOL!
I can't wait to try that clam dip! And you are a great blogger, I am really entertained by your entries!

Sarah September 7, 2007 at 1:38 PM  

yeah- garnish is a good word for floweres on the cake!!
Thanks for reading Kel- I need to get brave enough to let others know about my blog. I keep thinking -whos gonna wanna read this other than me????

The Original Test Dummy September 9, 2007 at 4:33 PM  

Ok,if you go for the the ganache and the caramel drizzle can I come over too? Mind you I'll have to pick myself up off the floor because I sincerely doubt my buddy is going to change her spots to stripes in the upcoming year!

Encarna September 9, 2007 at 5:50 PM  

yeah, happy birthday Cyn... I say, make two cakes: One is C's birthday cake, the other is the cake you WOULD have made her. I also will volunteer to come help eat it.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP