Once Upon A Knitter

>> Wednesday, September 05, 2007




Flour, sugar and eggs are not my only means of creativity. I also like to use fiber, yarn to be more specific. To walk into a yarn store for me is like walking into heaven. The textures and colors and possibilities that lie within those four walls are overwhelming.
My aunt tried to teach me at a young age how to knit, but I never really picked it up. It wasn't until about a year ago that my good friend Sopha reintroduced me to good ol' knit and purl. I picked it up pretty quick at that point. I think I had retained more than I thought from when I was young.
I'm by no means an avid knitter, and tend to put down my work more than I pick it up. But once I get into a groove of a project I love it. I find it very relaxing and therapeutic.
I am always finding these beautiful yarns and wanting to start something new before I finish what I am working on. That being said I have completed three scarves (a good way to practice my knit and purl), two baby sweaters, and I am working on my first pair of socks(have been for a while now).

This is my first baby sweater. Must say I was shocked when it actually resembled something a baby would wear! I knit it for my friend Sophas third child (yes, Sopha- you do have three kids). I found the buttons in a cute little yarn store in New York. They kind of inspired the colors for the sweater. Sorry Tyler, I hope the colors aren't to feminine for you little guy! But when your a baby you can wear anything!
I was very intimidated at the thought of knitting socks, thought it would be better left to the professionals! But once I started and carefully followed the pattern I actually knit a sock. I have to give some of the credit to knittinghelp.com. A great site when you need to look up an abbreviation or learn how to do a certain stitch (or do you call it a knit- guess I'll have to look that one up too).


I'm still in the process of finishing the second sock. I decided to use the opposite colors, so the foot and the cuff will be green. It kind of gives the pair a funky look. I'm hoping now that the kids are back in school I will have more time for my newly found passion.

5 comments:

mad knitter September 7, 2007 at 9:25 AM  

Oh my gosh, knitting has made it on to your food blog!!! LOL I love those socks...I can't wait to see them finished! I'm gonna bring some knitting tomorrow for if we have eating/down time.

Sarah September 7, 2007 at 1:35 PM  

yeah- Im thinking of changing the name, or maybe just the description. I really want it to be all things creative. No matter what the name- Im having fun with it!!! Thanks for looking!

Encarna September 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM  

there's something kind of Harry Potter-esque about these socks. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Encarna September 9, 2007 at 5:59 PM  

oh, and don't change the name. it's perfect.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP