My Search Is Over...

>> Monday, September 22, 2008


For those of you who have read this blog from the beginning you know one of the things I have been trying to find is the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. Dare I say, I think I have found it.

If you are a food blogger I'm sure you have seen the amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe from the New York Times. There has been so much buzz about this cookie recipe in the blog world I knew I had to try it (and share it with all of my non-food blogging friends).

There are a few tricks to making the perfect chocolate chip cookie. First you must make the dough about 36 hours before you are going to eat them. I know this sounds ridiculous. But by letting the cookie dough hang out in the fridge for a few days it actually develops a wonderful rich flavor that is missing in a more traditional chocolate chip cookie.

Secondly, this recipe calls for over a pound of good quality bittersweet chocolate. We are not talking chips here. I used Callebaut bittersweet that they sell in large chunks at my local grocery store and it tasted divine, well worth the extra cost.

Third, the recipe says to use 3 1/2 oz. of dough per cookie. This makes a very substantial cookie. I ended up making mine only 3 oz each and it seemed to be plenty. Making larger size cookies creates that desirable contrast between a crispy outside and a soft a chewy inside. Cookie heaven if you ask me.

And the last trick to divine chocolate chip cookies is a tiny sprinkle of sea salt right on top of those chocolaty mounds right before they go in the oven. Salty and sweet, what can be better than that?

Intrigued? Wanna give these a shot yourself? You can find the recipe here. Trust me, you will be glad you actually let that dough stay in the fridge longer than you thought was humanly possible. And besides, I never said you couldn't "test" the dough every now and then. Cookie dough, its a good thing.

Oh, and I almost forgot. These cookies are best eaten still warm (although they tasted pretty good at room temp. too), so I just baked them as we were going to eat them. The dough can hang out in the fridge for up to 72 hrs. But don't worry, I don't think it will last that long. And make sure you have plenty of milk to go with them. Enjoy!


19 comments:

sarah j. gim September 23, 2008 at 11:21 AM  

the way they're practically "marbled" gotta be so full of chocolate. (btw, love your name ;) )

cindy* September 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

i have seen these cookies all over the place and it looks like it may be my turn soon. these look so, so yummy!

Rachelle S September 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM  

These will be the next chocolate chip cookie I make! They sound delicous and yours are beautiful! They caught my eye in TasteSpotting!

My Sweet & Saucy September 23, 2008 at 2:10 PM  

I just tried this one too and LOVED it!

Julia from Dozen Flours September 23, 2008 at 2:35 PM  

Okay, that does it, I'm making this cookie! I had a nice coworker leave me the NYT sitting on my desk the day this article and I have to admit I was a bit skeptical that they could really be as good as everyone has said but your post sealed it for me. I think I'll wait and make these for my birthday next month.

BTW, I really like your blog and have added it to my daily read-during-lunch reading list! :-)

Maria September 23, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

That is one good looking cookie!!

Anonymous September 23, 2008 at 3:20 PM  

Definitely heard of this cookie and want to make them but I don't know where to get the Jacques Torres disks...did you use those?

Dianna September 23, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

Yum! Thanks for sharing. I'm in quest of the perfect cc cookie recipe too.

Heather September 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

i have heard a lot about this recipe... i have to try it! the picture is beautiful with the ribbon!!

Mandy September 23, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

your cookies look so tempting! I read about this recipe for quite some time now, but am too lazy to make it. Wish I could just sneak some of yours through the monitor. :)

Curt McAdams September 24, 2008 at 9:00 AM  

I'm going to have to try these, as I have a recipe that was given to me that I wrote up here:

http://www.buckymcoinkumsbbq.com/wordpress/2007/10/18/jaays-best-ever-chocolate-chip-cookies/

That has been my go-to recipe for a couple of years now. I'm certainly willing to try it head to head with this cookie, though!

Nylsoj September 24, 2008 at 9:18 PM  

Sarah,

These look soooooooo good. But waiting 72 hours?!? You're killing me! Do you really think the cake flour/bread flour thing is important? Can I just use unbleached white flour and call it done? I know, I'm a hack. Still, I'm definitely going to make these. I think I'll be stopping by whole foods for expensive chocolate tomorrow!

Love Jos

Sarah September 25, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

Thank you everyone for your nice comments and for visiting my blog.

Hillary- I did not use Jaque Torres disk, I used a large chunk of Callebaut bittersweet and cut it into smaller chunks. It worked great.

Jos- You dont have to leave the dough in the fridge for 72 hrs, 36 hrs is fine. I was just saying that it would last in the fridge up to 72 hrs.
As far as the flour goes, you can try all purpose, but the cookies came out so good the way they are that I would not change a thing. They had a much sturdier texture (which I like) than ordinary CC cookies.

Anonymous September 27, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

Wow! Those look delicious... I've been wanting to make them but I haven't because I think I won't to resest eating the dough in the 36 hours! But after hearing your reviews I guess I'll really have to give'em a go! Thanks for sharing!

Ingrid_3Bs September 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

WOW, your cookies do look incredible. It's sad but true I couldn't hold off for 36hrs and if I could my children certainly couldn't. The THREE of them are right there waiting impatiently. You know, the Mom is it done yet, Mom are they done, NOW!!!!! Love 'em but they do drive me crazy. I barely get one to take a (decent) photo of before they are gobbled up. LOL!
~ingrid

Anonymous September 30, 2008 at 8:18 PM  

I just think these look fantastic!!! Martha has nothing on you!! These would be good at the Open House!!
Love,
Cathy

Aimée October 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM  

Hah, I JUST took a batch of these out of the oven this morning after patiently waiting for a few days while the dough sat in my fridge.
Well worth the wait, I have to say. These cookie changed the way I thought about the standard choco-chip cookie. There's nothing ordinary about them.

Beautiful shots. Glad to have found you!

Music Food and Love November 1, 2008 at 5:34 AM  

I'm so happy I found this blog by chance! My husband loves these kind of cookies, and it's hard to find it here, it's not a tradition. I'm going to try this recipe for sure.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP