The Quest Continues...

>> Friday, October 05, 2007

So here is another attempt at finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie. The recipe came from Epicurious.com and is from Gourmet magazine. I followed the recipe exactly. I have to say , from my first chocolate chip cookie post, things are definitely looking up. The recipe called for 2 sticks of melted butter, which gave the cookies really good, buttery flavor.
I liked the texture. The cookies have crispy, buttery edges yet a nice chewy center. All very important things in a good chocolate chip cookie.
The only issue I had with these cookies is that they were still a bit to thin (well Cyn had more of a problem with this than I did). The recipe says to scoop the batter onto cookie sheets and flatten with moistened palm of hand. Well I realized halfway through that if I skipped this part the cookies might not come out as flat. And I was right, by not flattening the dough the cookies come out a little rounder and a bit softer in the middle.
Now I realize everyone's idea of the perfect chocolate chip cookie is different. I am just trying to find the perfect one for our house. I do recommend, however, that everyone make this a priority in their own home. You should see the smiles when I pull the first batch out of the oven.
Now even though these were really good, the search is not over. There are so many different recipes out there, I'm not sure it will ever be over.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Gourmet magazine 2003

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (16 oz)

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or wax paper.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg with a fork in a small bowl and add 1 3/4 tablespoons of it plus 2 remaining whole eggs to butter mixture, beating with mixer until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until just blended, then stir in chips.
Scoop 1/4 cup batter for each cookie, arranging mounds 3 inches apart, on 2 baking sheets. Flatten mounds into 3-inch rounds using moistened palm of your hand. Form remaining cookies on additional sheets of parchment.
Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until golden, 13 to 15 minutes*. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool and continue making cookies in same manner using cooled baking sheets.

* In my oven they only took 9 minutes. This gave them a nice soft texture.

4 comments:

Anonymous October 5, 2007 at 9:44 PM  

they sound yummy! are there any left? can I come over and try one or two?
I finally got a chance to check out your blog! this is so cool!
love, jen

Anonymous October 5, 2007 at 10:06 PM  

by the way, sarah, your photos are beautiful, especially the one of all the peppers! what farmer's market do you go to?

Sarah October 8, 2007 at 11:00 AM  

Thanks for reading Jen, Im glad you are enjoying it! Ofcourse you can come over for cookie anytime!!
I go to the Farmers Market on Madison green on Fridays though it is pretty exspensive. I also go to Scotts Farmers market (open everyday) down by my Mom. Thats where the peppers came from and their prices seem to be more reasonable!

Bridget March 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM  

Have you heard of the NY Times cookie? My brother makes it and it is THE BEST chocolate chip cookie EVER. Here is the recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html

It is complicated and involves many unique ingredients, but they are so worth it. Try it and post!

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP