A Meal Fit For A (Vegetarian) Queen

>> Tuesday, October 16, 2007

We don't often eat a meal with out some kind of meat or poultry. I'm not sure why, its a perfectly healthy way to eat. But after getting back from Rob and Sally's garden, meat was the last thing on my mind. We had so many wonderful (and Perishable) fruits and veggies that I knew if I didn't use them right away I would be sorry.

So this is the amazingly fresh meal we had after getting back from the garden. I cannot explain to you how wonderful everything tasted. So fresh, so tender, so incredible!


We had these huge potatoes that I threw in the oven for 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees. The skin was crispy and the insides were creamy and golden. I served them with sour cream mixed with fresh chives from my garden and crumbled up bacon bits (OK so we didn't go all vegetarian).

I made a salad using the tender lettuce leaves, steamed green beans and the cherry tomatoes.
I made a basil vinaigrette to go with it and shaved some fresh Parmesan cheese over the top. Mmmmm so good!

But I have to say, the broccoli was the best part. I found this amazing recipe for broccoli on Epicurious. It was so good I'm not sure I will have broccoli any other way from now on.

Broccoli With Toasted Garlic Bread Crumbs

1 1/2 lb broccoli, trimmed and cut into 2- to 3-inch-wide florets (5 inches long)
4 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup panko (Japanese coarse bread crumbs)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest

Put 1 inch of water in a 5-quart wide heavy pot, then put a steamer basket inside pot and bring water to a boil. Add broccoli and steam, covered, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes.Meanwhile, cook garlic in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in panko, pepper, and salt, then increase heat to moderate and cook, stirring occasionally, until crumbs are golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in zest.Transfer broccoli with tongs to crumb mixture in skillet and toss to coat.


So that is our meal straight from the garden. I have to say, I wish I could eat like this everyday.

Dessert was pretty good too. So good I thought I would save it for its own post. But I will give you a hint: It has something to do with raspberries!

4 comments:

Encarna October 16, 2007 at 11:00 PM  

oh. my. god. What a feast! I can't believe what you cooked up here S. It all looks so delicious! [stomach growling]

mad knitter October 26, 2007 at 9:18 AM  

Oh yea, I agree...esp. that broccoli! Kyle has a love-hate relationship with broccoli, and I have a feeling this might bring him right over to the good side!!

Sarah October 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM  

Kelly- Its really good, and really easy. Give it a try!

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP