The hidden life of food...

>> Tuesday, April 29, 2008


So I'm a little embarrassed to say that I had no idea an avocado was a fruit. Did you? I guess I never really thought about it much. But if I had, I would have thought it was a veggie. In fact, most cultures use avocados in sweet things. I had no idea! Usually, for me, its mashed up with garlic and lemon juice to dip a chip in or slather on a pork taco. Or slices of its buttery flesh lay ever so gently on top of a salad or piled high with sprouts and roasted red peppers to make the ultimate sandwich. And then I read this. Shauna, of Gluten-Free Girl (one of my favorite blogs!) asked for suggestions on what to do with avocados. And if you read the comments section you will see there are a lot of different ways to use this buttery fruit. From avocado cookies to using them in chocolate mousse to avocado frosting for a cake to an avocado milkshake! It felt like one of my greatest companions, that I had known for many years, had just revealed this secret life to me that I knew nothing about. I was dumbfounded! But I was also intrigued! An avocado milkshake didn't sound half bad.


So after finding MANY recipes for an avocado milkshake I came up with my own version. It's thick and creamy and not to sweet...very satisfying and refreshing.



Avocado Milkshake (my way)

most of the recipes I found used sweetened condensed milk but since I didn't have any and wanted to make it a bit more healthy I came up with this version. Also, I saw recipes that added either chocolate or coffee to the mix...yum! oh yeah, agave nectar is an all natural sweetener that can be found at your local health food store or seems like I have seen it in stop and Shop as well. But feel free to substitute with sugar or any other sweetener, you just may have to adjust the amount.

serves 1 or 2

1 perfectly ripe avocado (no brown spots, but gives a little when you push on it)
6-8 ice cubes
1/2 cup half and half (I use fat free) or milk of your choice
1/2 cup soy milk (or milk of your choice)
3 Tbs. Agave Nectar or sweetener of your choice
1/3 cup cold coffee (optional)

Put all ingredients in blender and blend for a minute or two. Voila...your done.
If the shake is to thick you can add some water or more milk. Serve with a straw and a spoon!!!





3 comments:

Encarna April 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

In the Philippines, avocados are almost always used for sweet treats. I never had guacamole until I got to college. My mom always served it to mashed up in a bowl with some condensed milk on it.

When I was nursing and had to be dairy-free, I would drink avocado "milk" shakes, but I would use soy or almond milk and ice, like in your recipe, or if I wanted to be truly decadent, I would use coconut milk. HEAVEN!!!!

I've also heard of the boba tea enthusiasts using sweetened avocado in much the same way.

Anonymous April 29, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

I saw your eggplant "recipe" comment on Shauna's blog and decided to come and visit. I'm really glad I did as this avocado shake looks awesome! What a great idea. I am addicted to avocados, but it never dawned on me to make a shake out of them. Wow, good idea and thanks!
Melissa

Heather B May 1, 2008 at 9:19 PM  

I have been wanting to try an avocado milkshake forever! I'm so glad you posted this! Now I have a recipe to try!

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP