For Tishy

>> Monday, April 07, 2008

Sometimes its hard to know how to help. You wish there was something you could do to truly make a difference . With so many unfortunate things going on in this world we often feel helpless. We feel like we cant make a difference.
But I think we can. Maybe not in a huge way that will change the world, but in smaller ways that may change somebodies day. One way I try and make small differences, and hopefully help those I love, is by cooking for them. For me, cooking for someone is a way to let them know that I am thinking of them and that I care about them. I sometimes struggle with coming up with the perfect recipe or the perfect meal. And I realize, it does not have to be gourmet or perfect, it just has to be made with love and care.
We have a dear friend who has been going through chemo, for a week at a time, in the hospital. Needless to say these weeks are long and draining, both physically and emotionally. It is hard for her and her family to get through these weeks. So when I can I try and make them food.
I came up with these muffins for her, hoping to bring a little ray of light into not such a sunny place.


Strawberry Sour cream Streusel Muffins

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces

streusel topping
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tblsp. flour
1 Tblsp. butter, softened
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

makes 12 muffins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
line muffin tin with 12 paper baking cups.
In large bowl beat egg and milk together. Stir in melted butter and sour cream. Stir in remaining ingredients (except strawberries) just until combined. Lightly fold in strawberries. Divide evenly among muffin cups, I find an ice cream scoop works well for this.
Streusel topping:
Mix all ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle over muffin batter before going into the oven.
Bake for 20-25 minutes and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.


Make these for someone you care about and see how something so little can truly make a difference.

6 comments:

docnita April 9, 2008 at 1:56 PM  

Sarah,

Your love shines through very clearly. As Tish and I have gone through all of the hardships of her chemo treatments, we have been lifted up and loved by many people...some who we expected to be there for us and many who reached out and helped us when we least expected it. We cherish them all, but some stand out and touch us in the most unexpected way. Your muffins did that.

I sent out a plea for people to call, email or visit Tish when she was feeling blue and I couldn't visit the hospital. And you answered the call. You got up early and baked your delicious muffins for her and Cyndee took the time before work to deliver them and visit with Tish. When I talked to Tish later that morning, she sounded like a new person. So from the bottom of my heart, thank you for the gift of love. It meant more than you could ever know.

We love you right back!

Anita

Anonymous April 10, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

You are such a wonderful person so kind and caring in everything you do, I'm so blessed to call you my friend.

Anonymous April 10, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

You are such a wonderful person so kind and caring in everything you do, I'm so blessed to call you my friend.

The Original Test Dummy April 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

Sarah,
First and foremost-Oh my those were some GOOD muffins. I can not thank you enough, between your amazing baking skills and Cyn's visit you made my day. Being in the hospital a week at a time is never an easy thing but with friends like you the time goes a little quicker.
I'm so very glad that we have you as friends. I look forward to many years of getting together and watching our kids grow, laughing, eating good food and in general enjoying each others company.
Keep up the good work on the blog, you are amazing. Much Love-Tishy

Anonymous April 19, 2008 at 3:23 AM  

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP