My Most Comforting meal

>> Thursday, March 13, 2008


To me there is nothing more comforting and homey than a perfectly roasted chicken. I have tried many methods for getting that crispy skin and and tenderly juicy meat. This seems to be the method I turn to again and again. Its pretty simple and straight forward.

Buying a good quality bird really does make a difference. My local grocery store now carries Bell & Evans all natural chicken, which I think is worth the few extra dollars.

Lemon Rosemary Roasted Chicken

1 4-5 lb. all natural chicken
1/2 stick butter, room temp.
small bunch fresh rosemary, divided, half of it chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, cut in half
2 med. size onions, peeled and cut into wedges.
salt
pepper
olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season inside cavity with salt and pepper. Set aside in roasting pan.
In a small bowl mix together butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and chopped rosemary.
Loosen skin on chicken by placing fingers between the meat of the chicken and the skin, being careful not to rip the skin. Do this on the breast meat and also the legs of the chicken. With your fingers stuff the butter mixture between the meat and the skin, trying to cover as much of the bird as possible. Squeeze half of lemon inside cavity of bird, placing that lemon inside cavity. Stuff cavity with 1/2 of onion and the rest of the rosemary (you do not need to chop it). Drizzle outside of chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the other half of the lemon over bird and, if there is room, place lemon inside of cavity. Scatter the remaining onion in pan around bird. Drizzle onions with olive oil.
Bake for 1 to 1- 1/2 hours (depending on size of bird), or until juices run clear.
And if you really want an awesome dinner, serve the chicken with these potatoes.

Roasted Garlic Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

1 head garlic
olive oil
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes.
1/2-1 stick of butter (whichever you prefer)
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup buttermilk
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the top off of a head of garlic, exposing the individual cloves. Place garlic on a piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap foil around garlic and roast in oven for 30-45 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
Place potatoes in large pot of boiling water. Cook until tender. Drain potatoes and put them back in the pot you cooked them in. Add butter, half and half and buttermilk. Let butter melt a bit and mash with a potato masher. Squeeze garlic cloves from their skins and mix into potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Add more buttermilk for creamier potatoes. Serve hot and go to bed happy!

6 comments:

The Original Test Dummy March 13, 2008 at 3:24 PM  

Sarah, as usual it looks to die for and I wanted to thank you for cooking for my family. You have been a godsend to us. I feel like I might even be able to eat some of the left overs tomorrow... they look so good online. And thats saying something!

Thanks for being such a great cook and a great friend... Tishy

docnita March 14, 2008 at 7:36 AM  

Hey- I recognize that chicken...I ate him for dinner! Wow Sarah, it was sooooo yummy. I worked late last night and my house was so quiet when I got home. Hannah was asleep and I got to just sit and enjoy the wonderful meal you prepared for us. And yes, Tisha, there are leftovers!

Thank you Sarah for being such a wonderful caretaker. Your meals are always so thoughtfully and lovingly prepared. It means so much to us.

Love,
Anita

Katia Mangham March 16, 2008 at 11:43 PM  

Hi Sarh, looks like you've been doing some cooking! The roast chicken looks delicious and the mashed potaoes sound quite yummy too. I've never made potatoes with buttermilk, I usually use cream- your version sounds a little (a lot) healthier! I'll give them both a try this week.

Deborah March 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

That does look like a perfect chicken!

Anonymous March 20, 2008 at 10:01 AM  

My favorite meal, that you made for us when I had Tyler, and again when I had my niece Sonya. Now I know the secret. I can't wait to make it when I have time. Thank you all the meals you made for us, everything you made was wonderful(maybe you can be my personal chef)cheers to you, thank you for being such a kind, wonderful, caring friend.
~Soap

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP