The Magic Of Little Pies...

>> Saturday, August 09, 2008


Needless to say my summer has been pretty busy. Seems like we have gone from one thing to another and its already August. August? Where has the summer gone? I can remember summer lasting forever when I was a kid. What happened to lazy days? To catching fire flies at night? To swimming until our hands turned into little prunes? Guess that's part of the magic of being a child. And now that I am a Mom I get to do it for my own kids, and that's pretty magical too.

I made these little pies a while ago when sour cherries were in season. I was So excited to find them at my local farmers market, I couldn't pass them up. Sour cherries are just that, sour. So I wouldn't recommend eating them straight up. But put a little sugar on them and throw them in a pie shell and they are just heavenly...especially with vanilla ice cream!

I used Martha Stewart's recipes for both the crust and the filling. But instead of using a typical 9 inch pie plate I made them in my muffin tin. I think they came out pretty adorable if I do say so myself.




All you have to do is roll out the dough the same way as a traditional pie, but using a cookie cutter or a circle of some sort, cut out little 4" circles for both the top and bottom crusts. Line the muffin tin with the bottom crusts and fill with cherry mixture. Cut top crusts into strips to make lattice tops. At this point I put them in the fridge for a few hours or as long as over night. When you are ready to bake them brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with course sugar. I baked these little guys for about 30 mins. Also I let them cool for quite a while before I removed them from their pan. If you do it while they are still warm I think they may just fall apart. Makes about 8 little pies.


So grab whats left of the summer and make some little pies. And if you cant get sour cherries just use whatever fruit is in season at the time. And just maybe the magic of one of these little pies will make you feel like a kid again!

Heres a wonderful little pie chart that tells you how to use different fruits for pie filling!





14 comments:

Anonymous August 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

These are adorable! What a fun idea. Definitely bookmarking this one.

Anonymous August 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM  

They look so adorable and yummy too. What a great idea, maybe I'll try to bake some when I'm not so busy with three kids.

~Soap

Anonymous August 19, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

I'm Haley, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe and photo on our blog. We realize it is taken from another source, but we'll be sure to note that...we just feel you've done a great job putting this meal together! Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

Anonymous August 27, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

My dear old friend Louise, who no longer walks this vale of joys, her goal in life was cherry pie. She did not make pie, but this was her goal. I made one for her.

My Dad and I made apple strudel once, from JoC. It was our finest hour together.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and inspiration. Come to Fiddleheads one day soon.

Anonymous August 27, 2008 at 7:48 PM  

And by the way, look at this pie-cosahedron!

http://www.instructables.com/id/EB4BXY3CMVEV1BEHGO/

Aimée September 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

Sarah-these are just adorable! Stumbled upon your blog and I'll be back...

Olga September 16, 2008 at 6:48 PM  

I was going to say "adorable," but everyone else already used that word :)

Sour cherries are some of my favorites. Really inventive to use a muffin tin.

Olga September 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous September 17, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

I love the latticework on these mini pies. Excellent idea to use muffin tins for mini pies. Thanks!

aleta meadowlark September 18, 2008 at 7:58 PM  

Oh I totally did this last year with some leftover pie filling! They were a huge hit at work.

But alas, my diet has curtailed such fancies. =(

Katia Mangham October 2, 2008 at 5:37 AM  

Hi Sarah,

You're right- pretty adorable!
The blog looks wonderful, as do your photos. Making the little lattice pies in muffin tins is a genius idea- will try it soon!
xo

tayomismo December 9, 2009 at 5:38 AM  

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP