The color alone will make you swoon...

>> Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rhubarb is one of those things I do not have much experience with. I never really had it growing up and honestly I never really wanted too. But as of late I have been reading a lot about this seasonal vegetable and I became intrigued. And yes, I did confirm that rhubarb is indeed a vegetable, though many people commonly mistake it for a fruit. Good to know! It kind of goes along with that whole avocado thing. I had no idea it was actually a fruit!

Anyway, back to rhubarb. I picked up a bunch at my favorite local farmers market (I'm so excited it is time for farmers markets again!) and brought it home and let it sit on my counter for a few days until I turned it into luscious rhubarb jam. Its slightly tart flavor was an unexpected delight. I can see why it is commonly paired with strawberries, each bringing its own distinctiveness to the other for a lovely balance.


So when I saw this recipe in Martha Stewart I knew rhubarb would be a welcome flavor squished between two buttery layers of soft cookie dough. Their sugared cookie tops add a nice contrasting crunch to the soft tart centers that lay just below.


Rhubarb Jam
adapted from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan

This jam could not be any easier to make and the color alone will leave you wanting to make more.

1 lb. rhubarb, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

Put rhubarb, sugar, water and scraped vanilla bean (along with scraped seeds) into a medium sized sauce pan. Simmer over low heat until rhubarb softens and melts. remove vanilla bean and cool to room temp. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to a week.

Do yourself a favor and go pick up some rhurarb while you still can!


Now Tishy, dont you think its time for another post???

4 comments:

The Original Test Dummy June 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

Hmmm... I "blogged" today dear.... What I think its time for is a glass of milk and a pile of those cookies!!!

I'll miss seeing you this weekend:(

Love ya!
Tishy

Anonymous June 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM  

The cookies look marvelous - I make some similar to those but with Strawberry jam - now you gave me an idea to use a combo of strawberry and rhubarb jam! :) Thanks!

Anonymous June 26, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

Yummy..... I should try this, Dave favorite, on a cookie even better.
Look really good.

Soap

Sophie June 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM  

Aw! What sweet cookies, in every sense of the word. The jam sounds delish :). Very festive, too :D.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP