You Didn't measure The Peanut Butter???

>> Tuesday, December 18, 2007


So my friend Sopha (hi Soap) called me up and asked me why I thought her peanut butter cookies came out so flat? "Maybe you over mixed them" I said, "I'm not really sure".
She then proceeded to tell me she got her recipe from Martha and that she did not measure the peanut butter because she was in a hurry. Well I think she may have answered her own question. If there is one thing I have learned in baking, its that you have to measure everything. There are no short cuts in baking, after all it is chemistry.
So I told Sopha I would give her my recipe and here it is. But remember Soap, you really do need to measure the peanut butter (along with everything else).
These are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, just as a peanut butter cookie should be!

Jumbo Peanut butter Cookies
adapted from Tish Boyle, The Good Cookie

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter at room temp. ( I use Skippy)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 lg. eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3/4 cup chopped peanuts plus more for sprinkling on tops of cookies.

Whisk together dry ingredients, set aside.

Using electric mixer beat butter and peanut butter until smooth. Gradually beat in both sugars. Beat in eggs, one at a time. beat in vanilla. With mixer on low gradually add dry ingredients. Fold in chopped peanuts. Cover bowl and refrigerate until dough is firm, about 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheet or use parchment.
Scoop out dough with 1/4 cup measuring cup. I left the dough rounded to get a good size cookie. Flatten dough with hand a bit. Use a fork dipped in flour to make a criss cross pattern in each cookie. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Bake about 20 minutes until golden around edges but still soft in the middle. be careful not to over bake them or they will not be chewy in the middle. let cool on wire racks. Freezes really well. Enjoy!

4 comments:

mad knitter December 27, 2007 at 10:10 AM  

OK, peanut butter cookies are some of my favorite cookies in the whole world!!!!I have to try this recipe next time I bake! I made peanut butter blossoms at Christmas, which are good for other reasons of course, but they don't have that yummy chewiness that those good ole round pb cookies have!

Anonymous January 4, 2008 at 1:52 PM  

Thank you Sarah for the recipe, I haven't made it yet but I will, and yes I will measure. You are doing such a great job on your blog and I always check it to see what you will come up with next.
Soap

Patricia Scarpin January 14, 2008 at 7:16 AM  

They look delicious, Sarah - will bookmark the recipe to try soon!

umelbanat September 5, 2008 at 2:18 AM  

thanks for the recipe Sarah...I was looking for a cookie recipe using peanut butter...& I will be trying yours...

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP