Life Is Sweet... And Smokey

>> Saturday, February 09, 2008


Cyndee had surgery this past week and , once again, my blog moved to the bottom of the list. But I cant say I mind. I would much rather take care of my family and help nurse them back to health . Cyndee is doing just fine, she is already back at work. But it amazes me how much one person does to contribute to the running of a household. Cooking, and cleaning, and kids, and homework, and bus stop, and garbage, and dishes, and taking care of the animals, and appointments, and laundry, and shopping, and ... the list could really go on and on. And it all runs smoothly and we really do have it down to a science until...one of us is out of commission. So I just want to say how much I truly appreciate us working together as a family and how much I truly appreciate you, Cyndee, as my partner. But I do have to say that I am so glad you are up and running again, because Im beat!


This week we are also celebrating our 12 year anniversary. Yes, I said 12 years. It truly does amaze me how far we have come together. We will celebrate by going to one of our favorite restaurants over the weekend while my brother Josh watches the kids for us (thanks Josh). But I couldn't let the day go by without cooking Cyndee one of her favorite foods, shrimp!
This is a really easy recipe that I found while flipping through my friend Jens Rachael Ray magazine. I adapted it a bit to suit our tastes. One of its key ingredients is Smoked Paprika. It just so happens that I picked up a tin of Sweet Smoked Paprika on our glorious weekend away at The Cape. Smoked Paprika has a wonderful smoky flavor, much more so than regular paprika. I would not recommend substituting it.


Shrimp Pil-Pil

1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (add more if you like it really spicy)
2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
2 lbs. large shrimp, peeled with tails left on
salt to taste
fresh parsley, chopped
loaf of hot crusty bread

Season shrimp with salt and set aside.
In large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and paprika. Cook for about 1 minute.
Add the shrimp to pan and cook a few minutes per side. Remove from heat and throw in a handful of chopped fresh parsley.
Put shrimp in individual serving bowls with plenty of the liquid.

Serve with hot crusty bread to soak up all the spicy sauce.


1 comments:

mad knitter February 10, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

That shrimp looks great...but where the heck to you get smoked paprika around here? Hey, happy anniversary! Did you know that ours is on the 2nd? So weird!

Glad to hear that Cyndee is up and around and feeling good. Hope you had a lovely time out! You guys have been through quite a week and you deserve it!

Please let me watch the kids or something next time something like this happens! You know *I* know how hard it is when one partner is out of commission!

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP